Saturday, December 26, 2015

1st, 2nd, and the rest...

As I sit here reflecting over 2015 as 2016 comes quickly, I am reminded of what one of my professors at Lamar Univ said on a live video conference this past spring.  He replied to a question from another student who asked what advice he could give to have a successful, long career like him.  He was a local Superintendent in a small district, also serving as a part time professor for my program.  His response was to remember to balance life and to remember your priorities, keeping God (or your faith) first, family second, and country next.  Such a simple response.  God, Family, Country, but something I surely needed at that point in time.  See, last school year, and in particular, that spring (Spring 2015) was the most stressful time I think I had lived through, and hearing his response in April was just what I needed at that time.  And it's something that has stuck with me since then and something I've made the choice to live by.  Faith first, family second, and let the rest live after those two things.  See, I've made several posts this summer and into fall about living balanced and making choices, and I'm so glad I've lived by this for six plus months now.

During this Christmas break, I've had the joy and pleasure of spending time with family, attending church together with my brother and sister, something not often done as we all attend different churches, and the blessing of just doing nothing.  I know what a huge blessing this is and I know that not everyone gets to do this.  I also know where I was at this time last year, in this same season, and I've posted about it already, so I won't take any of this for granted.

So as I reflect over this year, I can say with certainty that I hope you find the time, make the choices, and decide to live by this same style, to make your faith first, your family next, and let all the rest just blend into the background of life.  Take control over your life, don't let it control you.

No comments:

Post a Comment